Tuesday, January 20, 2009

Apertures and F-stops

I picked up a used lens (a 50mm, f/1.8 Canon) for 25 bucks the other day, and snapped a bunch of random shots on the way home (and at home) to try it out.

I knew before I bought it that a lens with an f-number as low as 1.8 gives you shots with a very shallow depth of field.... whatever you focus on is sharp, while objects any distance into the background or foreground quickly get blurry, giving you a nice effect:

















What I didn't realize (or take a minute to think about) was that since a small f-number means the aperture opens really wide during the shot, it also means that much more light can be let in than usual... so it works great in low-light situations.

I took this one expecting to get the blurred-headlight effect, and was totally surprised to see it come out so clearly:


















3 comments:

ryan said...

yes! i'm so glad you have discovered the joy of the 50mm. it is my favorite and most used lens. mine is an F1.4 and creates even more dramatic depth of field, but the 1.8 was my favorite until i saved enough money to upgrade. cool pics.

the lamp shining down is probably my favorite. the candle is pretty nice too.

Jael said...

Travis, you're a really amazing photographer. I liked the first one with the spices, and the one with the light on the wall.

Anonymous said...

Travis, you are a scientist AND and artist - and a comedian. What a rare and unique combination - you are gifted. Looking forward to your next posting.