Saturday, April 21, 2007

It´s a Small World After All

Sorry about the major lack of blogs over the past week or so…. this was my last week at the hospital, so things have been a bit hectic. And last weekend I was away, making a quick trip to the island of Utila… more on that once I’ve had a chance to go through the 500 or more pictures I took over the weekend (I tend to get a little carried away).

In the meantime, here are some more Little Things that caught my attention in the last few weeks…



There are some awesome metallic-looking beetles and wasps around here. Very cool.



This big moth practically smacked me in the face the other night while I was reading in bed… I was annoyed at it, until it landed and I realized how awesome it looked.




Not only did it have awesome colors (for a moth, I guess), but it didn’t fold its wings back like a normal moth…. it would just sit there with them flared in crazy directions.




Personally, I think it might be a mutant super-moth… I wonder if it’s an honorable crime fighter, or an evil monster dedicated to death and destruction….




This guy is definitely an evil monster dedicated to death and destruction.




Speaking of death and destruction..... This huge swath of army ants marched out of the jungle past the staff housing building the other day. They apparently were out for a day of pillaging and plundering, because that afternoon they came marching back past the building into the jungle, carrying lots of ants and ant eggs and various other dead bugs…. the spoils of victory.




These guys were pretty vicious… I stuck a blade of grass down at the line to see what would happen, and a couple of ants went completely nuts, biting and stinging the end of it… after that I was very careful as I stuck my camera inches away from them.



Apparently sometimes the huge swath of ants goes right through the staff housing building… there’s not a lot you can do when a thick line of thousands of ants come marching across the floor and up the wall. Just hide the food. And the babies… wouldn’t want them to get carried off.

I haven’t had a chance to figure out how to post a video right into the blog, but click here if you want to see a clip Jesse took of the sidewalk literally covered in a moving carpet of ants…




Just remember... they´re more afraid of you than you are of them.

1 comment:

Jael said...

I haven't posted on your blog in a while, but these pictures are amazing! What kind of cmera did you use? The moth, from behind, looks like a bat.