Monday, December 10, 2007

PhD... "Piled Higher and Deeper"

I came across this comic strip, "PhD," recently. It totally sums up life in grad school... it always leaves you (or me, at least) thinking, "That's SO true!!!!"

For example, I think many of us have been in this situation before (it happens to me about once a week):



One typical grad school event is the "group meeting"... each week your whole lab group gets together and someone gives an update on how their research is going. Then everyone tells them what they're doing wrong. It's often very painful. (As always, you can click on the image to make it bigger... sorry they're so small on here.)



I have definitely been the the first student on the left (twice now, all-nighters both times), and I am almost always the third student from the left (totally lost). I also often find myself thinking like the second and fourth students. I've never been the fifth student, because I always know exactly when and where there will be free food.

Finally, anyone who has lived with me will understand this one:



Instead of "going to bed," about a third of the time I fall asleep on the couch in my apartment, with the lights on, music playing, and papers spread around me. One time I slept all night with my laptop balanced on my chest.

2 comments:

Unknown said...

The guy in the last comic even looks like you...that's funny...

Kia said...

"Hey, look who's blogging again" yourself. I enjoyed the comics... After my summer at OHSU I understand the second one a little bit. The campus pictures are pretty, too. :-)