Tuesday, March 20, 2007

Livin' La Vida Local

Sunday evening I went out to a local village church with some folks from the hospital.... I think the best word to describe the service would have to be "boisterous." We had a song leader singing enthusiastically into a mike, with a guy on guitar plunking along as best he could. They were both amplified out of a couple of small speakers cranked to maximum volume. The congregation sang along fervently, clapping and banging tambourines, with little regard for minor details like pitch or rhythm. It was a riot of noise... and, at the same time, incredibly beautiful. People weren't concerned with sounding good or looking just right, they were focused on God... which is what I think He appreciates most anyway.

It struck me how incredibly similar the service was to another church I'd been to, last summer in Ecuador... another one-room concrete building set on the dirt-road main street of a coastal village, filled with people lifting praises to God despite their poverty. Which pleases God more... the lavish gifts of the wealthy, or the widow's last penny? I think the people I'm down here to serve just might have some lessons for me in return.




Mark 12:41-44

No comments: